George Hartnett Funerals has been part of the heartbeat of Brisbane community life since 1947.
Ever since then our funeral directors have been creating heartfelt funeral services that truly honour the memory, life and values of your loved ones. We specialise in creating funerals that will be remembered as warm tributes to the people the funerals are for, and in ensuring that families receive the best of our care.
In 1930 Thomas Foley, an Irish gentleman, established a Funeral Parlour "Thomas Foley Undertaker" on the south side of the Brisbane River at 537 Stanley Street near the Mater Misericordiae Hospital (Mater Hill). The funeral business was operated by the Foley family until 1947 when it was purchased by Mr George Hartnett, his wife Eileen & family.
Mr George Hartnett was born in Charles Towers in 1900, while his wife Eileen was born in Brisbane. From 1947 the company traded as Brisbane Undertakers Pty Ltd, and in 1961 became known as George Hartnett Brisbane Undertakers Pty Ltd.
The land itself was originally purchased by Charles Chapman James on 1st July 1880. Brisbane Undertakers Pty Ltd was granted the title of the property on 21st November 1949. The South Brisbane property was sold to The Trustees of the Order of the Sisters of Mercy (Mater Hospital) on 5th July 1991.
Before his time in the undertaking business, George Hartnett was the first St John Ambulance Brigade Officer to be appointed in Queensland, working in the Coolangatta-Tweed Heads District from 1919 until 1923. George then moved to Brisbane operating as a private taxi driver in his 7-seater Hudson vehicle, until he began trading as Brisbane Undertakers Pty Ltd in 1947.
George Hartnett himself grew the reputation for care by delivering the highest quality funeral services to the people of Brisbane and surrounding areas. The George Hartnett Funerals name quickly spread after gaining a reputation for respect, care, dignity and empathy. These were our gifts to the families that chose us back then and they remain our gifts to you today.
By 1968 George Hartnett had grown his business from one location to four funeral homes spread throughout the Brisbane area.
In 1974 George retired from the funeral business. He passed away on the 25th December 1987. The inscription on his headstone reads "He was a Gentle Man". Eileen passed away in 1962, and they are buried beside each other at Balmoral Cemetery in Brisbane.
In the 1980s George Hartnett Funerals' reputation as a caring network of funeral directors was assured. It was this reputation that allowed George Hartnett Funerals to add to its locations the trusted name of Cannon & Cripps Funerals. Located at Kelvin Grove, Cannon & Cripps has been of service to the people of Brisbane since 1886. Already with their own reputation for experience and care, George Hartnett Funerals were honoured to be the custodians of the Cannon & Cripps name and are privileged to continue to provide services to families from the Kelvin Grove funeral home.
The growth of George Hartnett Funerals did not end there. In 1990 a new funeral home in Cleveland was opened and was followed by the opening of our Holland Park funeral home in 1995. A new funeral home at Albany Creek, near to the the grounds of the award winning Albany Creek Memorial Park, was opened in 2007.